Crockpot Indian Lentil Stew

1/2 cup dried lentils
1/2 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 small-medium carrot, sliced
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
3/4 tsp garam masala (an Indian spice mixture found with the spices or in the ethnic foods section)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, (more or less to increase or decrease heat)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Use a 3 quart crockpot. Chop all of your vegetables and toss them into the crockpot. Drain and rinse beans and add them. Add the lentils. Grate ginger over crockpot. Add spices. Stir in the broth and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. The longer the better. It even tastes better the next day. Before serving, blend 1/2 stew in small bathes and return to crockpot. Stir together and warm through a few more minutes. Serve with whole with pita bread (for a healthy option) or traditional naan. (I like to dip my pita bread in this. It's so yummy! Very different flavors and smells like holiday spices!)

Makes about 4 (1 cup) servings.

Calories 204
Fat 1.5g
Sodium 933mg
Carbs 39.5g
Fiber 11g
Protein 11g

3 comments:

Randi A. said...

sounds so good mckenna! i think i'm trying this one this week. :) this is the first recipe i'll have tried from your blog here. i'm all about easy crockpot recipes and this sounds so warm and yummy!!
i'll let you know how it goes.

Randi A. said...

You didn't write ginger in the ingredients list. Am I gonna be okay without it? I didn't add it to my grocery list...
Well, I guess I'll just use ground ginger. Checked my spice cabinet, I have that. So nevermind, problem solved I guess.
I'm getting everything ready tonight so that I can make it tomorrow morning before I head out the door.

:)

Oh and P.S. I probably can't come on Saturday, but I will try. nabil is going to be in town and I am suppose to babysit my friends son.... so its an unusual Saturday morning/afternoon for me. But I will be so sad to miss you all, so I will see what I can do.

Randi A. said...

It was really yummy. And my house has smelled so nice all day!