Baked Eggplant Parmesan

1 egg
3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices (I like to peel my eggplant, but that's up to you!)
1 jar (about 24-26 ounces) marinara sauce
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups whole wheat angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions

Preheat the broiler. Line baking sheet with foil. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour and bread crumbs. Dip the eggplant into the egg, letting the excess drip back into the bowl, then in the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides, and place slices on the baking sheet. Broil the eggplant on both sides until well browned, about 3-5 minutes per side. (Be careful, they can burn easily!!) Preheat the over to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the bottom of the pan with the eggplant slices. Cover the slices in marinara sauce then sprinkle cheeses on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Serve over pasta.

**Two nights ago I went to make this dish. I was really looking forward to it. I pulled out my eggplant, started to slice, and then realized that my eggplant had gone bad! :( So I sent my husband to the store. They were completely out of eggplant. :( So instead I slices 3 medium zucchini the same way I would the eggplant, leaving peels on, but discarding the ends (since they were all peel), and it tasted equally as delicious! So if you can't find eggplant or just don't love it, try it with zucchini!!**

Makes 6 servings.

Calories 365
Fat 11g
Sodium 780mg
Carbs 47g
Fiber 6.5g
Protein 20g

3 comments:

r said...

OK. So I've seen this recipe before and have even bookmarked it, because it sounds like something I'd like. But what does eggplant taste like? I've heard it's really bitter? Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and make it. Then I'll know :)

So happy you're posting recipes again!

mckenna said...

**I'm leaving this comment on my own post as well as R's blog just in case anyone else is wondering!!**

Eggplant can be bitter. I really like it. I don't love the peel. I think it's what causes most of that bitterness. You should try it without the peel first. I didn't know a whole lot about eggplant (and still don't, as I've only tried 3 recipes with it) :) but it's been really fun to play with! I tried a really fattening (but delicious!) Rachel Ray recipe with eggplant and spiced sausage a few years ago. That was my first try with eggplant. It was really good, but not something I'd make very often. We do this and Ratatouille a lot. Both are really yummy! My husband thought he didn't like eggplant, but he loves these two recipes. Anyway, that's my two cents on eggplant!! :) Hope you like it!

r said...

So I FINALLY made this last night. And I was very pleasantly surprised! It's really quite tasty (reminded me of lasagna). I didn't peel the eggplant because I was in a hurry and next time I probably will peel it, but I didn't notice any bitterness it was more a texture thing for me. It was a big hit with everyone, well except Hazel, unless it's PB&J she's not interested :)

Thanks for the recipe!